5/31/07

That's Pants! or Off The Cuff

I'm pretty sure I've blogged about how impressionable I am; how I absorb every bit of pop culture into my head-sponge, work it around, and the regurgitate it as something "original." This works for sketch comedy, so no duh why I'm pursuing that (and I typed "duh").

This also applies to my fashion. I'll run through a list of my past fashion choices and the person who inspired them. Thankfully, there is not much photographic evidence to support my claims. Trust me, why would I lie about wearing some of this stuff? Lots of embarrassment follows...

Black frame glasses - Drew Carey
Hawaiian shirts - Josh from Road Rules Latin America
Bowling shirts - Brad Sherwood from Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Thift store t-shirts - Oz from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Plaid pants - Tony Slattery from Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Mod ties - Felix Unger from The Odd Couple
3 piece suit - Richard Dawson
Navy shirt with white polka dots - Charles Nelson Reilly
Adidas - Oasis
John Lennon sunglasses - Liam Gallagher
Black zip up jacket - Alan White (drummer for Oasis)
Beard - Zach Galifianakis, Obi-Wan Kenobi
Cap - Parrish Yaw (keyboardist of The Features)
Track jacket - Rivers Cuomo
Denim jacket - Oasis
Denim jacket/hoodie combo - Nick Valensi (guitarist for The Strokes)
Most everything I wore from 2001-2003 - The Strokes 2001-2003

And this brings me to the actual point of this blog...

Cuffing my jeans - Stephan Jenkins (lead singer for Third Eye Blind)

Now, keep in mind that a good portion of this list is from my formative years, 8th to 12th grade. I shouldn't be judged, everyone goes through phases. I started cuffing my jeans in 9th grade and did that until 12th. The idea came from Mr. Jenkins and stuck with me long after my interest in the band waned. However, when I got to college, I ditched that habit. I guess now is where I bring up the fact that I have weird legs. They look normal, don't get me wrong. I don't suffer from elephantitis. I don't have three knees. They're just a little short. In an ideal world, I would wear a 31 x 27 pair of jeans. These do not exist. I instead have been wearing the same two pairs of 31 x 28 (ordered from Gap online because short people do not leave their houses) jeans for the past year. Or more. Yeah, probably more. They have both started to fall apart, leading me to bite the bullet and buy a real, expensive, pair of Levi's. 30 x 30. I guess walking around New York has caused me to lose an inch (curses).

But this is the problem: I have to cuff these jeans because A) I can't get them hemmed yet, I'm poor and B) I will not walk off the excess length, because that makes you a redneck according to Jeff Foxworthy. Is cuffing jeans okay? Am I going back to my 9th grade roots? Will people think I support 3EB after their second album (which was AWESOME!!!11)?

This is a serious problem.

2 comments:

ruby sneakers said...

is it weird that i think we might have the same jeans measurements? i really don't know because i can never find jeans that fit me (not since american eagle discontinued the only style that has ever fit my fully... adult ass. le sigh. expensive girl jeans are like... 150 dollars. and fuck that, amirite?

Anonymous said...

I think i just peed myself a little. This explains so much. Thank you for the fashion exposé...