4/18/07

TV: Lost "Catch-22"


TEASER It really, really sucks to be Desmond. He goes from being a slave to a button that 'saves the world' to being a slave to visions that save a washed up (but lovable...sometimes) rock star. I don't even remember when that cable was first found, season one maybe? Darn you, writers of Lost, and your sharp memories! You don't forget anything! Keep that up.

ACT ONE BRIAN K. VAUGHAN. Just today I was wondering when Vaughan, the greatest and most consistently genius comic writer of the past ten years, was going to make his debut. Bada-bing, here it is. This, wow. I have a weird sense of pride, like, my lil' comic writer is all grown up and fending for himself in the big bad world of TV. TV writers often go to comics and boy-oh-boy are those results mixed....and delayed (Lost's own Damon Lindelof tried to write Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine, and it's been over a year and a half since #2 came out...where's #3?). But comic writers hardly ever go to TV and I can't think of a real track record outside of Jeph Loeb, who himself was a story editor last season on this show. Also, we know why Desmond calls everyone 'brother,' so that's cool. Although, no clue how him being a monk or whatever fits in with his back story. And I swear, if I have to lose both Sanjaya AND Charlie tonight? No. I can't deal with that.

ACT TWO Lots of people doing things for selfish reasons. It seems that Desmond doesn't care about Charlie's life, so long as he gets Penny back. Kate doesn't really care if she hurts Sawyer, just so long as she can make the hurt of seeing Jack and Juliet together go away. The show has done a swell job of making me genuinely want a Kate/Jack or Kate/Sawyer relationship, but seeing how she's acting post-decision-for-Sawyer, I want neither. She's got too many issues and isn't good enough for either right now. Of course Juliet is maybe evil so she's not good for Jack either. Geez, who knows. And I'm not so sure what just happened. Did the helicopter crash and someone eject? My bad reception isn't making this clear.

ACT THREE Okay, so the monk thing was pre-Penny and shows that Desmond is willing to make sacrifices in order to go after what he considers to be more important. I was skeptical about the pilot actually being Penny, but that bookmark makes me think differently. Maybe someone was borrowing her copy?

ACT FOUR
So yay, Desmond has some sorta conscience, but the look Charlie just gave him makes me think Des isn't getting off so easy.

ACT FIVE
Okay conclusion, except I'm kinda mad that the pilot is someone we don't know. I knew it wasn't going to be Penny, too easy. I thought maybe it was going to be the woman Des left at the altar, but no clue as to why she would have that picture in the book. Now it's someone even Desmond doesn't know, and we have no idea why she has that picture. Maybe she was sent by Penny? I assume so. Eh, okay. Not a strong conclusion.

MY SCORE: *** (out of 5)

1 comment:

Trashley said...

Desmond made me cry. I think he may have surpassed even the blessed Sayid in my "favorite hot Losties' list.