4/16/07

Professor Jalopy

I've become very familiar with the term "nor'easter" over the past 24 hours. Being from the south, I wasn't at all sure what this silly term meant until I looked it up. Yes, it applies. It has been raining since Saturday night, the worst of it all being yesterday. I had to leave the house to go to my second 301 class, which meant a ten minute walk in a nor'easter (I'm using the word!). My umbrella protected me somewhat, but my Adidas and Bad Jeans were still fairly damp. The trek home was even worse. My 301 went okay. It was a lot of fun but my mood (hunger + soak) got in the way a bit. The rain had let up in Manhattan when I got out of class at 9:30 PM, but after finally making it home (the R train has some hilarious kinks late at night) it had picked up worse than ever. The umbrella was fine for keeping my head and face dry, but I was soaked up to my thighs. Mmmm...good times.

That was the only bad thing about this weekend. Steph and Kim came over Friday night and we watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Empire Records in a half-hearted attempt to relive the 90s. Re-watching Turtles, I realized that the film is spectacular. Directing, writing, acting, turtle acting, it's all top notch and highly enjoyable. So much glee from this movie! Empire doesn't hold up as well but goshdarnit if it wasn't one of the most important movies of my teenage years.

I went to Roger's Time Machine with Louie and some friends on Saturday. My request for back issues was heartily met, all for insanely low prices. I did buy a second copy of Alpha Flight #2 because I hadn't updated my Need List, oops. I also bought Avengers #200, the issue where Ms. Marvel is impregnated and gives birth to the man who impregnated her, all at an accelerated rate. Needless to say, it's a doozy of an issue. Between this and Ms. Marvel losing her powers to Rogue a year later, the 80s were a craptacular decade for her.

Saturday night was the Magnet Theater's birthday party and I can't think of a more fun time in recent memory. I got my doses of dancing and conversing, two things I've missed so. The Magnet is filled with nice people, by the way, and I like spending time with them. It's not as intimidating as UCB, definitely.

And Professor Jalopy is a name I made up to describe how I'm dressed today, due to the nor'easter (I used it again). My tan trench coat, my brown newsboy cap, my brown corduroy pants, and a brown argyle sweater. It's the 1940s, it's London, and I'm teaching you literature, Russian literature. Bring me my pipe, lad.

No comments: