4/10/07

Super Weekender

The past couple days have run through my life like gang busters. I haven't had much time to blog or do anything that involves me at home. Friday night was Louie's and Heidi's (his roommate) seder of the rock and roll variety. Passover seders are normally like this; this one involved Talking Heads, Freddy Krueger, the Beatles, and lots of other pop culture-y items. It was good fun and I enjoyed hanging out with people, being in the company of a house party. The art of the house party seems to be lost on New York City. Too many birthdays are celebrated in bars and I don't think I'll ever see show of any sort in what was formerly a living room in NYC. Murfreesboro citizens, be thankful for your homes that inside of which you party.

Saturday was spent designing a flyer for my friend Jeffrey Marx's upcoming sketch show at The Upright Citizens Brigade Theater. I've only been in the city 8 months and I'm about to have something that I designed inside of the most important place (to me) in all of the city. Never mind the fact that I was never hired to design anything for anyone in Tennessee. I hope this leads to more. Saturday evening was my ramshackle improv practice group with some of my fave classmates. It was good and successful, as successful as it can be without a coach. Yoink. But we had fun and any time that I get to hang out with people at my apartment is a good time. Went to see Grindhouse that night. A mixed bag leaning towards good, that movie is. "Planet Terror" was great fun, but "Death Proof" was painful to watch with most of that pain being the "Stop talking, shut up, just SHUT UP, please do something, anything, STOP STOP SHUT UP NO MORE TALK AAAHHHH!!" kind, some being the "this action is so intense it hurts!" kind. Grindhouse was the 23rd entry in The 100 Film Initiative, I do believe.

Louie got to experience Easter/springtime holiday as I know it when we went to his teammate Alexis' brunch. There was a smorgasbord of breakfast food fresh from Paula Deen's cookbook and Easter egg dying. This was the first time in a long time that I've done anything egg-related for Easter. Sunday night I saw TJ & Dave do improv and it was more inspirational and enjoyable than last time. A nice monthly tradition.

I returned to work yesterday but that did not make my day uneventful. No no no! I saw The Protomen last night, fresh from Murfreesboro and thriving in NYC. There was an actual line of people there to see them, including teeny children, pre-teens, and high schoolers that you just know wear t-shirts with wolves on them. The rest of the crowd was the adult type, don't worry. People were pumping their fists, singing along, doing air guitar, all this to a band from Murfreesboro that features people that I hang/hung out with on a semi-regular basis. It was a crazy night and I'm so glad that the band is doing so well. Lots of pride in my hometown.

I couldn't hang out after the show since I had to get up early early to meet Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) at XM.

That post is coming

The picture of me in a Simon and Nick sandwich is too.

No comments: