4/11/07

English Sandwich

I've passed Keith Olberman and Pat Sajak on the street in the last couple weeks. Neither of those casual brushes with celebrity compared to yesterday morning. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost stopped by a certain XM radio show to promote their film Hot Fuzz (which I raved about here). These guys also did Shaun of the Dead, which firmly puts writer Pegg and director/writer Edgar Wright in my top five filmmakers of all time (only Joss Whedon and Alexander Payne are competition, I'd say). I've been pumped about this meeting since seeing Hot Fuzz and Don Imus almost ruined it for me.

Apparently Opie idolizes Don Imus and the absolutely tragic and witch-hunty events (sarcasm ahoy) happening to Imus have put Opie into tantrum mode, meaning that he wanted to spend all five hours of his show on Tuesday talking about nothing but Imus. Meaning no Simon and Nick, two guests who will be on "Kimmel," "Late Show," "Conan," "Leno," and "GMA" in the next couple weeks. Yeah Opie, your show is bigger than all those. Keep telling yourself that. You'll eventually find yourself without any guests and no show. And that'll make me happy. A compromise was made and Simon and Nick got to be on the show for 15 minutes.

I got to XM a half hour before they were supposed to go on, so the guys had just started to hear what O&A's show is like and had just started to get angry. It was a weird mood but they were so nice and very happy that I loved the movie. Joyful picture taken and I left soon after.

The interview itself was horrible. Simon politely disagreed with O&A, believing that racist humor doesn't have a place unless its done intelligently to open a dialogue. This goes against O&A since the majority of their humor relies on verbally raping people based on their sexual orientation, nationality, race or weight.

So in the middle of the glory of meeting Simon and Nick, my hatred for shock jocks has reached a boiling point. I think they should all go, every one of them. They contribute nothing but hatred and intolerence and, hey, aren't funny at all. That's the point, isn't it? To be funny? Calling someone a faggot isn't funny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you give either of them my phone number?
kthnx,
april

Anonymous said...

I'm with them. Humor about orientation and race and whatnot CAN be funny but not by shock jocks. They just suck.

Trashley said...

I am so jealous I want to stab you in the eye.