4/5/07

Comic Lust

I'm addicted to comics. It's such a pathetic thing to be addicted to, especially to admit, but it's true. Since comic-reading is a lonely habit, becoming social once a week when you go to the comic store and get extremely pissed off at having to fight your way to Runaways #25 (Midtown Comics, I'm glaring at you), so I don't know what it's like to be a normal comic fan.

Is it normal to keep up with your collection in an Excel spreadsheet? Is it normal to countdown to when your collection reaches the big 3000 (only fifty more to go!)?

Is it normal to re-read all of your old issues and grade them on a scale of 1-10 based on how good the issue is? Is it normal to do this in hopes of one day having a definitive list of my 100 favorite issues?

Is it normal to keep a list of comics you need (not want, need) in your wallet for handy reference? Is it normal to try multiple times to put this list on your iPod to varying degrees of success?

The big one I'm asking myself today: is it normal to let current issues and current events completely convince you that you need to track down back issues? The ones I currently need (yes, need) are:

Black costume era issues of Amazing Spider-Man (#252-300)
I started collecting issues from this period a couple years ago but that fell by the wayside and gave way to my Avengers craze of early 2006. The current insanity that is Spider-Man 3's promotion in NYC makes me want these even more.

She-Hulk era issues of Fantastic Four (#265-298)
I make no secret of how much I love She-Hulk in her current series, so I really want to see how she fared during her time with the FF. Plus, these are the John Bryne issues, widely regarded as the series' best. The upcoming movie that may not suck (emphasis on may) also has a hand in this, so since I can't spend $2200 to get the three issues that inspired the film, I'm sticking with this.

Julia Carpenter's tenure with the West Coast Avengers (#74-102)
Julia was better known as Spider-Woman until the original bearer of that name came back from obscurity and joined the New Avengers. Now Julia goes by Arachne and has been a supporting player in Ms. Marvel for the last couple issues (yes, I'm still buying it). Her interactions with Wonder Man and Ms. Marvel don't have much weight with me and I want to read these issues just to get a better grip on her character and place in the Marvel Universe. Plus, I need another Marvel heroine to enjoy after She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel.

Just a little more disposable income and I'll be giving in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sort of love your obsession. :-)
I will actually have an Excel spreadsheet of my collection as soon as I can go home and catalogue it all because I've thought about selling it off to a collector.
Also, I was never a HUGE fan of Spider Woman/Arachne and, while I know the original Spider Woman somewhat less, I kind of like her better.
Runaways: it's not quite Buffy to me, but you can see Joss' style and he ALREADY has a much better handle on distinct personalities in the group than the previous writer(s). So I'll keep buying.
and I love Ms. Marvel. I like her solo series alright but I'm with you in that she seems to be much more interesting as the leader of the new Mighty Avengers.

Anonymous said...

You ain't missin' much in those Avengers West Coasts, man.
--Hal

Anonymous said...

Could you please just not work and blog all day. Please. I'm going to be very bored at work tomorrow so I'll expect a doozy of a post.

Smash