2/16/07

Robert Schneider says "This is my friend."

(not a real photo, by the way)

Last night was my second time seeing The Apples in Stereo, a band giddily clawing their way into my heart and threatening to make my trio of #1 bands a quartet (by the end of this blog, that will have probably happened). It's best to just start at the start.

I misread my e-mail and thought I had to pick up my will call ticket by 7:00, so I left work early to head on down to the Bowery Ballroom. I got there at 6:25 or so only to find out that they don't give any away until after 7:00. Of course. It's pretty cold outside but I figure that a half hour wait before doors is nothing compared to the hour plus I waited last time. I go back to the street and hang next to the double doors next to the open door to the venue. I'm out there about three minutes when one of the double doors opens. Robert Schneider, lead Apple, musical genius, quirky indie god, pokes his head out and looks around. In keeping with my new courageous streak, I say "Robert Schneider."

ROBERT
Hey! I'm Robert!

Robert sticks out his hand for Brett to shake, which he does.

BRETT
I know!

ROBERT
Are you here for the show?

BRETT
Yeah, I got here early...I have to be up front.

ROBERT
Did you already pay for a ticket?

BRETT
Yeah, I have to pick up will call at seven.

ROBERT
Man, it's freezing out here! Come on in!

Robert grabs Brett and ushers him through the double doors, backstage. Once inside, Robert sticks out his hand again.

ROBERT
Oh, what was your name again?

BRETT
Brett.

ROBERT
Great to meet you!

At this point, Robert talks to the guys from caUSE coMMOTION, the first band on the bill tonight. He does similarly enthusiastic greetings to them and asks them all sorts of questions about their band. I stand there, keeping my Beatles-Girl-In-1964 glee bottled inside of me. The coMMOTION guys go downstairs. Robert turns around, smiles, and waves.

BRETT
I saw you guys last year at Irving Plaza --

ROBERT
Oh! Yeah, that was a fun show!

BRETT
Yeah, it was my first time seeing you guys, I cried a little.

Robert then puts his right arm around Brett and pulls him close for a half-hug.

ROBERT
Aaawww!

I think the smile on my face made Joker's look like Janet Reno's.

ROBERT
If anyone hassles you, tell them that Robert let you in! And if they still do, have them come find me!

BRETT
O-okay...

ROBERT
Oh! Actually I have a job for you! My wife is going to be coming by soon and I don't know where she's coming in. Can you keep a look out for her --

BRETT
Is she the blonde woman in the fourth part of the documentary I saw on youtube?

ROBERT
Yeah! Yeah, just let her in if you see her! Now you have a job, you're with the band!

BRETT
Okay. I can do that.

Robert walks away. Brett walks to the small window next to the double doors. A few minutes later, Robert's WIFE approaches.

WIFE
Hey, Robert told me to tell you that I got in, I came in a back way.

BRETT
Ha, okay, that was hard work!

Brett looks out to the stage, Robert gives Brett a distant smile and thumbs up. Wife walks away. Brett continues to stand.

I stood around for a while; Eric Allen (bassist for the Apples) asked if I played in one of the bands, to which I replied "No, Robert let me in" and he chuckled. Robert came by a couple more times before 7 and gave me a high five for doing a good job.

I went by will call at 7 to pick up a ticket and they seemed weirded out that I had come back...at 7...when they told me to. They weren't ready so I had to go back upstairs and wait outside. About ten minutes later, Robert poked his head out the double doors again.

ROBERT
Oh, they caught you, huh?

BRETT
No, I went to get my will call tickets and they weren't ready yet.

ROBERT
Aw man, but you're up front where you wanted! You're first in line!
BRETT
Oh yeah!

Robert then leans in to the security guy.

ROBERT
This is my friend, he helped me out earlier.
(to Brett)
Thanks, man, I'll see ya later!


He shook my hand again and went inside. And this concludes my pre-show adventure. I'm pretty amazed that, aside from telling him that I cried at their last show and possibly freaking him out for knowing what his wife looks like, I didn't get super crazy and start asking him all sorts of questions.

We all entered the Bowery and I was quite excited that the normal hour plus wait to get inside was only a half hour. Oh, wait, except you do that hour long wait inside the Bowery's bar. Fine, I checked my coat and bag and waited. The whole time I was trying to figure out how to work the merchandise/getting up front dilemma. The merch was right on the other side of the door that led to the stairs that lead to the concert area. I could stop and get merch first, ensuring that I get what I want but risking a spot front-and-center. Or I could do the opposite. When the doors opened I stopped by the merch without thinking and noticed that by doing so, no one else was entering. The group of us buying merch had plugged the doorway. Nice. I bought an Apples t-shirt and the "Look Away +4" EP that I didn't physically own. And I got front and center.

caUSE coMMOTION were okay. Surf riffs and frustrating rhythms, I couldn't get into it outside of the courtesy head bob and right-leg-tiny-stomp. One of my current friends and former Late Show associates made his way up front, so it was nice to not be alone but also embarrassing since he would be the first NYC person to see me during a concert. I spaz. Casper & The Cookies rocked my world and lived up to my expectations. Lots of flowers and eye glitter to go along with their crazy jubilant pop. They're what I wish Of Montreal was.

The Apples in Stereo were amazing. Robert said hi to me right before they started playing. They opened with "Skyway," followed by "The Rainbow" and "Please." I saw these on the setlist and then decided to not look further down. I wanted to be surprised.

They played (not in order)
Tidal Wave
Strawberryfire
Ruby
Can You Feel It?
Skyway
Energy
Same Old Drag
Play Tough
Sun Is Out
Radiation
Motorcar
Go
The Rainbow
I Can't Believe
What's The #?
Tin Pan Alley
Please
Do You Understand?
Baroque
**New Song** "Tell it to your secretary"

I freaked out the most at "Go" since it's been a longtime favorite that I never expected to hear. They brought out a trumpet player and my mind immediately went to "Look Away," which if they had played I would have slipped into a joy-coma and you would not be reading this. "Go" was a great pick and it did not kill me. "Tidal Wave," "I Can't Believe" and "Baroque" were three more faves that I haven't heard before live, so there was ample fist pumping and jumping. I always go crazy when I hear "What's The #?." Of all the new songs, "Energy" almost brought a tear to my eye and "Sun is Out" was a joy because I didn't think it was a performable song (it's one phrase over and over again). Soooo good.

The encore was "Tin Pan Alley" "Tidal Wave" and "Motorcar," from their 2nd, 1st, and early demos respectively. This is why I love this band. Unlike Of Montreal who think going back to 2004 is pulling something out of a vault, the Apples know their history and embrace it. 1 early demo, 1 song from the first album, 2 from the second, 2 from the third, 3 from the fourth, 3 from the fifth, and 7 from the sixth and newest. Great representation.

Some hippie guy totally broke the rules and asked for Robert's setlist before the encore. That's not kosher, dude. That setlist was for me, I'm sorry. You were the one freaking out over Bill Doss because he was in Olivia Tremor Control. Well guess what, you're at an Apples in Stereo concert. That set list should go to someone who thinks the Apples are the best, yes, better than Olivia, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Of Montreal. Whatev.

Great night.

Robert Schneider is my friend.

2 comments:

geoff hmarks said...

I cried a little too just reading this! So jealous.

Andrew said...

that's an awesome story! congrats!