2/17/07

Bad Food

Friday night was busy, today not so much. I began my doings last night by going to Astoria with my future roommate and checking out an apartment. We both left from our respective jobs to meet up there and amazingly enough, I got on the exact train and car as him a few stops after he boarded. We were not meant to ride that train alone. Oh no. The apartment was marvelous but we agreed to hold off until we see what tomorrow has to offer. Still, the apartment last night was in a quiet little area, one small flight of stairs up, and includes a balcony and a parking spot so I can finally bring Governor Nigel Canterbury of Oxford (my red Mini Cooper) to NYC. That would be a dream. So...hopefully this will work out.

After that I made my way to Danielle's apartment for a viewing of The N series Instant Star and a rousing game of "American Idol Karaoke" for PlayStation. The song choices were atrocious since I really despise modern day Top 40 and hits of the 80s. I karaoke well in bar settings; I karaoke like a champ when its B-52's, Kinks, Franz Ferdinand, or The Strokes. Seriously, you will look up to me after you see me handle the mic. This time? I attempted "Rock With You" by Michael Jackson, of which I only know the chorus and have no clue how the verses go. I got the worst score and then "playfully" turned my nose up at the game for the rest of the night.

After the party died down, Danielle and I went to a bar where every drink comes with a whole pizza. Seriously, I am not picky about pizza. This was amazing. We capped off the night by watching Thursday's episode of The Office and securing my love of Joss Whedon.

Today I have felt like crap. I have no food and no desire to go to the grocery store to buy some more, mainly because I know I'm going to buy the same frozen pizzas, TGI Friday's Quesadilla Rolls, Bowl Appetites, and TV dinners that I do every week. The every week thing is a real problem. I hate going every week. I miss going to Wal-Mart, buying $70 worth of food, loading it up in my car (in which I sing along loudly), and not going back for a month. I also don't feel like properly cooking here, not that I've ever properly cooked. Still, when I lived at BarfCom over the summer with a fully functional kitchen, I attempted cooking at times. I tried pancakes once. I read an issue of Deadpool while eating it.

Is it weird that I can associate memories with what area of my comic library I was re-evaluating?

I did watch two Netflix movies today: Inherit the Wind and DiG! Both were five star entries into the 100 Film Initiative and both stirred up feelings within me. Wind is set in 1920s Tennessee and deals with the Scopes Monkey Trial (the illegal teaching of evolution in a high school and the Bible thumping pandemonium that followed). This hit extremely close to home and got me thinking about my myspace profile and how held back I feel in very basic areas of my personal being. One day. DiG! was probably better just because it didn't depress me a bit. I love the Dandy Warhols so why I haven't seen this movie yet has been a bit of a mystery to me. I could not even imagine being the filmmaker near the insanity that is the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Seriously, brave...brave. Oh, and how come the guy who only plays the tambourine in the band got to sign with the record execs, be on the cover of the DVD, and steal countless scenes with his bug-eyed glasses and weirdly cockeyed bowl cut? He just plays the tambourine!

I'm waiting, counting down the hours, til I get on the train and head to see Reuben Williams. I haven't seen them in two weeks. I almost feel a bit lost, you know, inside. Or whatever.

I also finally did the album artwork to my mix CD for the Improv Resource Center mix CD exchange. Me and my exchange buddy decided to put together a group of songs that tell a story, like a musical. I of course had to make this involve full-on graphic design and Colin Meloy. The musical is titled "That's How I Escaped My Certain Fate!" after the Mission of Burma song that starts it all off. And yes, the subtitle is "the tragic tale of an artist and a baker."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I very much wanted to see more of "vampire Jim." That almost seemed to have been inspired BY Joss even though he didn't write the episode.
But god bless the Office. It's consistently funny and entertaining.
Sorry you stank up the karaoke Idol. :-) I think those "computer scoring" singing games suck anyway.