9/3/08

Labor Day!

I went to the Jersey Shore, Sea Bright to be exact, this past weekend for Labor Day. I don't think I've ever done anything more exotic than going to the river with my family, so going to a beach in Jersey (popularized around the country by MTV True Life's "I'm A Jersey Shore Girl") with well over a dozen improvisers was bound to be an experience.

Bozarth, Patrick and myself all got off work at 3 on Friday afternoon, so we met at my place in Astoria and got into Governor Nigel Canterbury as soon as Anna met us.
The drive wasn't horrible but I did get lost a couple times. Thank you, GPS, for both getting me lost and finding the way again. You are a complicated lady. We did come across a ratty tailoring store between 8th and 9th Avenue (to give you an idea of just how ratty) called Options!, so that was worth it.

My car was the first to arrive at Sea Bright, arriving while Matt Mayer (whose beach house we were staying at) and his lady Sarah were picking up Tyler from the train station in Red Bank. The four of us killed time by going to 7-11 and buying junk, like a cap gun. Good purchase, Patrick.
Question: Is Russian Roulette with a cap gun disturbing or infinitely nerdy? Answer: Mix of both. Bluvband and I just read our comics. Not really, but we did pose for this picture.
Other activities of the night included a couple games of Werewolf and the most hilarious viewing of "Judgment at Nuremberg" to ever happen.
Okay, this was taken during an off moment. But it was hilarious, trust me.

Rob, Bluvband and I went down to the beach in the late hours of the night to scope out the area we would become so familiar with. We found some rocks!
The rest of the night was filled with an insane bit involving the nonexistant titular lines from films. I couldn't come up with any so, after listening to them for about an hour, I went to sleep. And everyone else stayed up for about 3 more hours doing them.

Hello Saturday morning!
We heard from Matt Mayer that there was a good diner for breakfast, so we went. Steve's Diner would feed me breakfast during the entire trip. The grilled muffins were life-changing. I don't think I've ever been as blown away by a breakfast food. Including Rice Krispie Treats Cereal.
Before going to the beach, a car had to go pick Phil up from Red Bank. And not just Red Bank, Jay & Silent Bob's Secret Stash. Kevin Smith's comic store. Yup, a car full went to pick him up. Phil and Rob posed with memorabilia, and we all posed with our purchases.
Enough with the nerdiness, BEACH!
After hitting the beach hard, we crashed.
While Rob slept, we watched all 130 minutes of "Starship Troopers."

Dinner on Saturday was at a place called Something Fishy.
Reviews were mixed overall, but I enjoyed my crab legs.
Of course I played with them.
Patrick played some too.

We got ice cream after that. Dom enjoyed his, as did I. But I don't have a picture of me eating ice cream.
With the arrival of a couple more people, the population of 24 Surf Street hit close to 20. So, like any fledgling community, we gathered around in the dark and told ghost stories.The storytelling then moved outside, and we all gathered around the fire.
This picture happened, although I don't know why.
Sunday morning! We watched about a million John Cougar Mellencamp videos.
Sunday was the day I spent in New York City visiting with all my old "Late Show" buddies. I know pictures were taken but SOMEONE hasn't posted them on facebook yet. I met up with Patrick, who rode back with me Sunday morning, around midnight. We made our way back to Sea Bright in record time and began our beach adventure for a second time. That night was filled with the "Hey, remember when Phil invented laughter?" type bits. I swore to do no bits on this trip, but that didn't happen. Instead I decided to have fun.

Melanie had a huge Rice Krispie Treat that became one of us. Until we ate it.


Dom decided to rig up a trap for all the people in the back bedroom asleep well after us. Apparently, according to Tim, this trap killed Phil.We went to Steve's one last, well-documented time. Oh, sweet grilled muffin!
I never took a picture of the muffins. Huh.
Chris Scott stayed outside on the beach from around 7:30 AM til that afternoon. He's as red as you would think. More beach!
We all capped off the weekend with a "Cops" and "Press Your Luck" marathon. We all learned that Flokati rugs are to be laughed at and you should never, never flag down a cop when someone takes your $20 bill and gives you plaster instead of crack cocaine.

I'm still trying to readjust to life not on the beach.

2 comments:

Matt Mayer said...

sorry you couldn't stay longer. always remember, that's on you.

we can go back whenever!

FrequencyDown said...

wow, that looks like it was super fun!