9/10/08

It's coke.

Finally, hardcore data to back up my belief.It's all coke. I'm from Tennessee and this backs me up. People always think this is wrong or confusing, but it's not to me. I just grew up able to figure out whether or not coke was capitalized or not. Like, "Mom, can you please go buy some cokes for my party?" "Yes, I would like Coke to drink." It makes sense to me. I remember this caused some areas of confusion when I worked at the movie theater. Some people would look at me like I was a retard when they ordered a Coke and I asked them if they wanted Coke. Some people, like not-Yankees, knew that I was just trying to clarify coke from Coke, and they would correct themselves ("Oh, yeah, duh, it's all coke. Give me a Sprite."). This also happens to be one of the first questions I ask people, what they call soft drinks. That and what their middle name is.

I can't stand "pop" and won't ever bring myself to say it. It really just sounds pompous, arrogant, completely anachronistic, it really grates on my nerves. I know that's a harsh reaction to a word for soft drinks but I sometimes have it. It doesn't help that it naturally comes out with a very mid-western/northern accent when said, like "paaahp." Soda is okay, it's the lesser of two evils. Once again, in my head this is associated with the annoying "sooo-dah" pronunciation. I'm starting to think growing up in the South has done a number on me.

These regional differences sometimes bug me, or make me realize how different we all can be even though we come from the same America. Seriously, what's a bubbler? And that's a milk shake, hence Steak & Shake, not Steak & Frap (although Frank & Frap would be a good alternative...). This happens all the time in improv scenes. I've had to correct myself many times when talking about toboggans in scenes or monologues, since saying that usually results in odd stares. Toboggans are what you wear on your head in the winter (or in the summer if you're a douchebag, usually with a Korn logo). I think they're called beanies or...touks?...or something, cap? I'm note ven sure. I just know we call them toboggans. This also happened on Sunday in class when I called what most people assumed was a bed skirt a dust ruffle.

And also, is Yankee a really offensive term? I usually say it in jest and to make my Southern charm shine, unlike some members of my family who do say it in anger. Yes, I've become somewhat and oddly proud of my Southern heritage upon moving to the North. It's my rebellious streak, I think.

I need to buy some cokes now. Like Sprite and Dr. Pepper.

2 comments:

benzado said...

Anyone who doesn't know Southerners say "coke" needs to meet more people.

I'm really surprised that you think "pop" sounds more pretentious than "soda" --- I think of them precisely the opposite way, and the fact that the Liberal Elitist parts of the country are marked as soda on that map bears out my position.

I have never heard of anyone being offended by the term Yankee.

Juan Horsetown said...

I was talking with my girlfriend recently, and she told me about a social gathering where everyone there suddenly realized they were all from the Midwest. For some reason, I just felt compelled to ask, "Did you all just want to put on some blue coats and bayonet some rebs?" It didn't go over well.