3/5/08

party time wasting is too much fun

I'm pretty sure I can now expect every March to contain a life-changing out-of-nowhere crisis. Last year I was homeless, this year I'm jobless. I'm shifting gears to focus more on my writing and comedy, which is a good thing even if it wasn't exactly my hand on the gearshift. I was driving the car though, definitely away from the disgusting craphole that is Chinatown. I did not get the job at Wizard, thus giving me a much more visceral hatred of anime. I did have a great interview and I do believe that I made a positive impression that will hopefully lead to an opportunity in the future. I can't deny (actually I flaunt) how emotionally trying it is to keep going to interviews for your dream job only to have it go splat. I have to remind myself that I'm 23 and have my entire future ahead of me. I can't expect to be at my dream job right now, even if I've been close enough to smell it and give it a smooch a couple of times. That was a creepy visual, right? Smelling and smooching?

On Monday night, a group of us journeyed to Davis and Amanda's apartment in Brooklyn and then to the Wham City stage production of They Should All Be Destroyed, a stage play of Jurassic Park.

Yes, you read that right.


The play was staged in one of the more...exciting?...parts of Brooklyn. Let's just say that we knew exactly where the venue was because of the completely out of place herd of white hipsters crowded on a random corner under the subway. The whole experience had a very house show feel to it; everyone sat on the floor and it was strictly BYOB. The turnout was mighty and the enthusiasm in the show was mightier. Papier-mâché dinosaurs stomped around to perfectly synchronized sound effects, John Williams classic score was turned into a sweeping pop ballad through the addition of insightful lyrics, and each role was played with the hilarious combination of a wink, a nod, and glee. This was a true Only In New York experience. Or any of the other surrounding major cities the show is going to.

Another New York Only experience happened last night when I went to the Comic Book Club show at the P.I.T., another improv theater. I got to see an interview with my favorite comic book writer of all time, Peter David. I'll write more about Peter David later as part of my X15 series, but I will say that his initial run on X-Factor back in the early 90s contains more than one of the few absolutely perfect comics I own. I walked in and found my level 501 improv teacher Chris Gethard (check out his blog for some of the most hilarious stories ever written) sitting on the couch reading She-Hulk #26. Of course Gethard would be there; he had a letter printed in X-Factor #105 and is as big a Multiple Man fan as I (remember?). He was invited to be the comedy guest for the show and read his letter on stage to Peter David, the man who made him love Multiple Man so much that he cried when a later writer killed him off. I sat down on an ottoman and waited for the doors to open. When Peter David entered, he was greeted by the hosts right next to me. It's been a while since I've felt that nervous, but having the man who wrote "X-Aminations" stand right next to me caused me to almost hyperventilate. What was even better was having Gethard across from me, a guy whose improv talent I admire and one of the best teachers I've ever had, equally freaking out and mouthing to me "that's Peter David." Comic geekdom, the great equalizer.

The show was a lot of fun, even the parts about DC and Dark Tower, both of which I'm not at all interested in. I was touched to learn that Peter David gave Rahne Sinclair the codename Wolfsbane back in 1980ish while dropping by the Marvel offices and hearing Louise Simonson talk to Chris Claremont about it. "If being a wolf is the bane of her existance, call her Wolfsbane." Rahne is one of my favorite characters, David's writing being a major factor in that, so hearing that really got to me. This whole experience and my new gig reviewing comics for ComiX-Fan has made me love comics even more. I would have killed to work for Wizard (not really killed but you know...) and I hope to someday. In the meantime, thoughts of starting up a blog solely for comics keep running through my brain. I would if I didn't think that this one would suffer entry-wise.

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Roxy Music, hence the title of this blog. I downloaded the rest of the songs from Siren that I didn't have only to discover that they are great. I now have two Roxy Music albums I can listen to from start to finish (hello, Country Life). If I ever get around to it, I'll watch the second DVD of my The Thrill Of It All DVD set. That's all 1980s stuff, which I find to be quite schmaltzy.

That's about it for now. Sigh.

No comments: