11/22/07

Gimme Thanks


The actual giving thanks part of Thanksgiving has always been somewhat unsaid in my family. It's usually more about the food and family than doing a roundtable "what are you thankful for?" discussion past the prayer said before eating. This is my first Thanksgiving after starting this blog so I think this is an appropriate place to, just, give some thanks. I'm in Murfreesboro right now, in my old living quarters. I got up at 8:30 AM (what?!), watched the parade on TV, and two Charlie Brown Thanksgiving specials. It's been a relaxed morning.

On to the thanks!

I'm thankful for my car. Every time I come home I happily drive as much as I can. The joy I get from turning the radio up as loud as it'll go and singing along at full blast is unparalleled, especially when New York's alternative is the sometimes invasive and always public subway.

I'm thankful for "Tick Tick Boom" by The Hives. Have you heard this? As soon as the song kicks in, I can't help but be moved, physically, because the force of the music hits you like a sonic boom. Catchy, aggressive, cocky, complete rock and roll. The Hives do it right, and I'm listening to it in my car a lot.

I'm thankful for the Watson's pool girl still being around, no matter how long I go between seeing her Tennessee only commercials.

I'm thankful for all of my friends, in every location, shape, form, relationship, etc. I love getting to see my big social circle in Mufreesboro this week. It has not disappointed. No length of time away can dent these friendships, as far as I can tell. They're solid, the roots going back as long as 8 years. Sure Tofu House was closed last night, but that's not why I came home. I came home to see everyone. In New York I've been lucky to make friends that I can actually do things with, especially people that I trust and enjoy enough to perform with on a regular basis. That's pretty awesome. While most everything is different about hanging out in New York, a good time is a good time.

I'm thankful for the writers currently on strike. Their brave action and the sacrifices being made are going to make it that much easier for the next generation to survive in this ever-changing industry. I only hope that if ever put in that situation in the future, I will step up and act as courageous as they all did for the generation after next. Or generation after the generation that comes after the next one, depending on when I actually make it.

I'm thankful for having a job. Geez. I was an intern just a year ago, a recent college graduate, and I have now been employed for almost 11 months in the industry. That's pretty cool. And I'm thankful that the rest of the time I spend in New York is spent working on comedy. The UCB internship is almost over but I've enjoyed having an active part in the theater.

I'm thankful for my dogs, or really my dog Abby (Minnie growls at me now, which is fine, whatever). Abby has been with me since I was in the sixth grade. Sixth grade! Seeing how happy she was to see me, that just made me feel great. There isn't enough hanging out with dogs to do in New York.

I'm thankful for the current X-Men crossover, Messiah Complex. So far it's been pretty good and actually reminds me of the good ol' days. This could all go horribly wrong, since a lot of crossover events start out great and botch it in the ending, but as of right now, Thursday, Thanksgiving, it's pretty good.

And lastly, and not surprisingly, I'm thankful for my family who have done way too much for me in my lifetime. I wouldn't be doing anything that I'm doing now if they hadn't supported me every step of the way. I like seeing everyone, extended family and all, so coming home means that much more now that I only get to come home 3 times a year.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

No comments: