10/12/07

October Music

Finally, seriously, after what has been way too long, it finally feels like October outside. Something about October always entrances me (I'm sitting indian style next to incense right now). The weather brings back memories of Halloween, fun school moments, and great music. More than smell, I'd say music triggers more memories than any other stimuli. When combined with the season appropriately, I get the max amount of enjoyment out of the music.

My two October albums were busted out today: Chutes Too Narrow by The Shins and Room On Fire by The Strokes. Released just weeks apart in late October, 2003, both of these albums became synonymous with driving around in my car, light coat on, as the leaves turned colors. Before getting an iPod a year later, I carried my disc man to school and listened to this music while studying in the library. October 2003 is also a great month because that's when me and my friends partied with Zach Galifianakis and discussed these two albums. Listening to them today (the first time for Chutes) in quite a while, I had a smile on my face. Nothing like listening to "You Talk Way Too Much" when it's nice and cold.

This isn't just October. The Masterplan by Oasis is my favorite Christmas album ever and it's not a summer without The La's self-titled debut.

I invite you all to think...what's your favorite October music?

No comments: