9/17/07

Apples & Emmys

The Apples in Stereo love playing New York City, so much so that seeing them live has become commonplace where only a year ago I considered seeing them a miracle. Four times in just under a year, pretty rad. This concert was different from the first three; it took me to Williamsburg which, as far as I can tell, is a ghetto crack den that just happens to sell insanely upscale furniture and super expensive clothing-to-look-homeless-in (American Apparel). I was not charmed by the dead end street filled with hollowed out buildings the Music Hall was on, nor was I charmed by the delay in letting people in. I wandered around that street for two hours.

The opening bands, Old Soul and Aqueduct, were okay. I didn't mind Old Soul and found them to be fun to watch, same with Aqueduct except I was shocked at how many people were there to see them and not Apples. Aqueduct's frontman was very charming and funny, but I got tired of the music as the set wore on. I wanted Apples. Mmmm...

John Dufilho, the drummer, went onstage first and waved at me. And I'm sure it was me since, after Aqueduct, the auditorium mostly cleared out to get more drinks. Also, bassist Eric Allen said "Hey man, how's it going?" to which I responded "It's going great!" because I am a spaz-a-mataz. So I guess being The Guy Freaking Out In The Front Row at three Apples concerts in New York City over the last year has gotten me some sort of recognition. Robert Schneider, lead Apple who I've now met twice, came out and the guy next to me struck up a conversation with him. Robert introduced himself to the guy, looked at me, and said, "What's your name?" "Brett." "Yeah, have we met before? I know you." "Yeah, I let your wife in at the Bowery." "Oh yeah! Thanks, man!" Robert then noticed that someone had left a small black plastic bag with two Marbles (Robert's solo project) CDs in it on stage. Robert gave me and the guy the CDs. Because he's the best.

The show was awesome, of course. My usual show-favorites were all there ("Go," "Rainbow," "What's The #?," "Ruby") and the band ran through their normal set of songs. They played "Beautiful Machine" from the new album for the third time ever, which Robert dedicated to his wife who was present (and sold me the Apples t-shirt I am wearing right now). Robert also pointed out that exactly 30 years ago from last night, he entered the US from South Africa and became a permanent resident. Cool moment. For the encore, Robert came out and did "The Afternoon," the first time I've ever heard it live, and the band came out to rip through "Tidal Wave," during which Robert pointed at me while singing. I was furiously jumping up and down, grin on my face, shouting the lyrics. I got a handshake from my favorite songwriter ever and they left the stage.

Setlist (not in order)
Go
The Rainbow
The Afternoon
Tidal Wave
Strawberryfire
Ruby
Can You Feel It?
Skyway
Energy
Same Old Drag
Play Tough
Sun Is Out
7 Stars
Open Eyes
Beautiful Machine
What's The #?
Please
Do You Understand?


***

The Emmys were last night and I ended up enjoying them...mainly because I was fast forwarding through 80% of it this morning at 1:45 AM. I was overjoyed to see Terry O'Quinn win for his work on Lost. Rainn Wilson's bit with Kanye West was funny and another fave moment, but that might have just been because of the Rainn Wilson involvement. The real highlights of the night came from seeing UCB people on TV. Peter Gwinn, my teacher from my Del Close Marathon workshop, got to slap Stephen Colbert during their nominee video. 30 Rock, the best comedy of the year in truth and Emmy Land, won and I spotted both Jack McBrayer and Donald Glover, two performers I see often at UCB. I've felt a special kinship with 30 Rock since it debuted alongside my own move to New York and the start of my career in television. This kinship has grown now that I see people I've been taught by and see perform on there on a weekly basis. This win was special...right inside my heart pump. I can only hope that this and the Seinfeld cameo boost the ratings to a healthy level so the show doesn't become the new Arrested Development.

Yay television!

No comments: