5/1/07

Spider-Man 3

I've seen it.

Here's what I thought.

And I'm spoiler crazy.

I'm also completely biased, since Spider-Man 2 is constantly at war with X2: X-Men United for the spot of Digsy's Second Favorite Movie Ever. SM2's themes, it's acting, it's over the top direction, and that dang subway scene, they all get to me and stand together as many many reasons as to why movies exist. It's a perfect movie, in my opinion.

So not only does Spider-Man 3 have a lot to live up to, I'm also more inclined to look at it through rose colored black-rim glasses. And really, it does live up to it. I knew there was no way this would top SM2; I just hoped it would be good. And it is.

The acting is really kicked up a notch in this film. Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire have pretty solid chemistry as Mary Jane Watson and Peter Parker and, goshdarnit, I root for them. I want those two to be together, even if their babies would have the most jacked up mouth ever (her gnarly front teeth, his awkward overbite). I've never been a huge fan of James Franco's Harry Osborn, but I love him on Freaks & Geeks so this may just be an annoying character. Yeah, Harry's annoying. He's like Luke in Star Wars: A New Hope but...he never grows up. He's whining about power converters for three movies.

The three new additions to the cast are so superb, they almost steal the movie. Sandman as a villain was, initially, a bore. Seriously, after Green Goblin and Dr. Octopus, Sandman was going to be the big bad? No? But Thomas Haden Church was great casting and he really makes you feel for poor Flint Marko. I mean, he gets a seriously raw deal and, thanks to his powers, can never enjoy a tasty beverage or take a shower again. Using very few words, Church sells Marko/Sandman as a realistic villain with a decent motive. Church manages to emote through sand, a lot of the time. Hard work, but he was up to it.

Bryce Dallas Howard took some time off from making the worst movies ever ("The Village" and "Lady in the Water" anyone?) to make a downright head turning debut as Gwen Stacy. Holy crap, she was born to play this role. She doesn't do much, but the few scenes she's in, she is Gwen Stacy. Blonde, confident, black headband, I was totally expecting her to get thrown off a bridge and hear her neck snap, I was that convinced. Kirsten Dunst can go join a Smashing Pumpkins cover band (she looks like Billy Corgan) for all I care, BDH is ready to go.

Lastly, can I please watch a movie starring Eddie Brock? Topher Grace has such a presence on screen and he just rules every scene he's in. He's hilarious, creepy, intimidating and pathetic all at the same time. This is the best thing to come out of "That 70s Show" since...ever. He makes a great turn as a villain and I wish there was more of him, even if it was odd seeing Topher Grace's head popping out of Venom's body.

The best thing about the movie is how it teeters from being straight up awesome and being downright creeptastic when Peter Parker goes Fall Out Boy with his symbiote hair dye and eyeliner. His libido-strut down the street is hilarious, as is his sexy stare down with Betty Brant. But the dance scene with Gwen and his subsequent rage at MJ is...wow. Something you don't want to see. There's also a butt load of action in the film, and while it's all emotionally charged and relevant (Peter reaching out for Aunt May's engagement ring while being attacked by Harry sticks with me), none of it is as moving as the subway action sequence in SM2. I also loved the scene between Peter and Ursula involving the cookies. Tobey plays a jerk acting sweet so well.

There's a big ol' sense of coincidence throughout this movie that can kinda distract if you let it. Like, the meteor carrying the symbiote just happens to land near Peter and MJ. Flint Marko really killed Uncle Ben. Harry gets amnesia from his fight with Peter just long enough to further the plot. Eddie is at the same cathedral as Peter when the symbiote gets knocked off him. It's all somewhat plausible and the film tries to explain away most of it, but sometimes it comes across as rather tiring. Also, really, darnit, I want a Spider-Man movie where he's just Spider-Man from beginning to end. No manipulation, no giving up, just Spider-Man versus his bad guy. Stiiiiill, it's all good and I think revenge is a fine theme to explore in this film and it finds it's way into every story.

The lack of stakes also kinda got to me, since the world is never in danger. But then again, Spider-Man is not Superman. He deals with his family and friends primarily; he's not going off to Russia to stop nuclear bombs or flying into space to destroy an asteroid. MJ being in danger is as big as the end of the world to Spider-Man, and the delicate pacing and complex characterization of the characters so far gets that point across just fine to the audience.

Overall, this was fine. This was good and worth the wait. Loads of action, loads of comedy. It's a fun movie with lots of fun moments, the fun moments and great acting overshadowing some of the more dicey plot elements.

And remember, I'm biased.

And love is blind.

MY SCORE: **** (out of 5)

3 comments:

Kevin DeBacker said...

I will continue reading this only after, and I mean only after I've walked out of the theater. And of course I've had a chance to go home, relax, think about the movie, and turn on the computer.
I choose to take a stand against spoilers.

Anonymous said...

i have to disagree with you completely, mr. white. at most, 2 stars.

Juan Horsetown said...

Yeah, I didn't dig this one, and I posted a blog all about it.