2/9/07

O-A-SIS

Friends of mine have been waiting for this moment. I've gushed about Buffy, revealed my X-Men fanfic, and adored the Features. It's about time I got down to Oasis. Yes, Oasis. I love Oasis. They are my favorite band of all time and, yes, I see you smirking and/or laughing right now. Shame on you. Really. Shame. Putting aside the antics (getting banned from Australian airplanes, knocking up an All Saint, wishing AIDS upon Damon Albarn), rotating lineup*, iffy lyrics (two songs about Jaguars), failed success in America (although selling out MSG last summer was pretty impressive), and Heathen Chemistry, the band is perfect. They weren't the first band I loved (hello Gin Blossoms) but they're the only band to stand the test of time for me (10 years of fandom).

Let's put it this way. Ten Christmasses ago I got Dave Matthews Band Crash and Oasis (What's The Story) Morning Glory?. I was shown two paths. One, DMB which leads to Phish, The Grateful Dead, Guster, maybe even John Mayer. The other Oasis, which leads to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Jam, and The Kinks. I chose correctly. Look at it that way.

Since I listened to nothing but Oasis from Christmas '96 to May '02 when Heathen Chemistry was released, I kinda acknowledge them as my favorite band without actively participating in fandom. Sure, I've seen them twice since 2002 (cried both times, surely) and they released Don't Believe The Truth which stands as one of their best albums. I just usually skip them on the iPod.

Not today.

I decided this morning to spend my day listening to all Oasis in the chronological order that it was unleashed upon the world. Starting with the b-sides from the "Supersonic" single in 1994 all the way to the present. I'm at the b-sides of the "Stand By Me" single (1997) now. These three years have given me great joy today and I will continue this mission. With a song in my heart. A poorly worded song with an soaring melody.


* Oasis started out as a band called The Rain.
The Rain: Chris Hutton, Paul "Bonehead" Arthurs, Paul "Guigsy" McGuigan, Tony McCarroll
Guigsy invites Liam to replace Hutton and Liam changes the band's name to Oasis.
Oasis 1.0: Liam Gallagher, Bonehead, Guigsy, Tony
Noel sees the band play, says they're horrible and joins when asked only if he can have sole creative power.
Oasis 1.5: Liam, Noel Gallagher, Bonehead, Guigsy, Tony
This band lasts until 1995 when Tony is kicked out for being a crap drummer.
Oasis 2.0: Liam, Noel, Bonehead, Guigsy, Alan White
This lineup conquers the world...until some people stop caring.
Oasis 2.5: Liam, Noel, Alan
The only people to appear on the fourth album, the replacements coming afterwards.
Oasis 3.0: Liam Noel, Gem Archer, Andy Bell, Alan
I see this band play 3 times. Oh wait, only once because Alan quits.
Oasis 4.0: Liam, Noel, Gem, Andy, Zak Starkey
I see this band twice. Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) tours with the band and plays on their newest album but is not an official member.

The point being that The Rain can now reform and open for Oasis. And Alan White can watch from home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't Believe the Truth is really good. I was pleased to see they had it in them. Did you know that Q called "Let's All Make Believe" the best track you never heard? They had a big list of like, 500 songs. Liam's best quote of all time came after he got kicked of the flight to Australia, I believe. "I'd rather walk."