1/23/07

Oscar Schmoscar!

As someone who does not follow the world of film (see: The 100 Film Initiative), Oscar nom day is like any other day. Except I shouldn't expect to watch anything on E! that doesn't deal with golden statues. Not like I watch E! often or ever. But anyway. Here are the noms and the level of hoot I give.

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Leonardo DiCaprio - BLOOD DIAMOND
Ryan Gosling - HALF NELSON
Peter O'Toole - VENUS
Will Smith - THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS
Forest Whitaker - THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

My Hoot: Don't give a hoot. Didn't see any of these movies and, really, Ryan Gosling? Where did that come from? Is his entire family in the Academy?

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Alan Arkin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jackie Earle Haley - LITTLE CHILDREN
Djimon Hounsou - BLOOD DIAMOND
Eddie Murphy - DREAMGIRLS
Mark Wahlberg - THE DEPARTED

My Hoot: I give a little hoot. Eddie Murphy pretty much stole every scene he was in for just acting like the Eddie Murphy of old (the one who said "shut up!" with such vim and vigor on SNL). But Alan Arkin for "Little Miss Sunshine"? Wasn't he dead for most of the movie?


Performance by an actress in a leading role
Penélope Cruz - VOLVER
Judi Dench - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Helen Mirren - THE QUEEN
Meryl Streep - THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
Kate Winslet - LITTLE CHILDREN

My Hoot: Microscopic hoot. I'm just pleased that Meryl was nominated for a comedic movie. That I didn't see. But still, I like comedies getting love. No Beyonce either. That's fine.


Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Adriana Barraza - BABEL
Cate Blanchett - NOTES ON A SCANDAL
Abigail Breslin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
Jennifer Hudson - DREAMGIRLS
Rinko Kikuchi - BABEL

My Hoot: I give a hoot. Jennifer Hudson cut through all the hype and made me a fan. She stole "Dreamgirls" and this Rags To Riches Story: 2007 Edition I am all about.


Best motion picture of the year
BABEL
THE DEPARTED
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
THE QUEEN

My Hoot: I would have given a hoot if "Dreamgirls" hadn't been shafted. And "Little Miss Sunshine" has zero chance. Whatev.


Achievement in directing
BABEL - Alejandro González Iñárritu
THE DEPARTED - Martin Scorsese
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA – Clint Eastwood
THE QUEEN - Stephen Frears
UNITED 93 - Paul Greengrass

My Hoot: Hoot for a friend. Mr. Botox himself, Clint, only got one nod leaving it somewhat even for Scorsese to pull ahead. I'm rooting for him.


And who cares about the rest, really? "X3" didn't get nominated for makeup, getting bested by "Click." Hah. That shows them right! Next time, don't make a shitty movie.


I promise I'll have bigger hoots when the Emmy's are announced.

No comments: