1/25/07

Cold War 2.0

Part of my new Big Kid Job is to look through blogs daily. So, in an effort to stay true/in touch with my roots, I've started reading Nashville Cream. Homesick, I am. One of the articles that got my attention involves former blog/indie darlings Cold War Kids and the current backlash against them. Most of this backlash centers around the band's religious background (they met at BIOLA!) and their maybe/sorta denial of it. Or they just aren't acknowledging it. Or people are using their *sorta* religiosity (real word?) as a scapegoat for just not liking their music.

Here's my take, because everyone really cares. But the world of blogging means that everyone gets a say. Hmm...

The band performed on "The Late Show" on my last day, the same night that "The Tonight Show" had The Killers. Perfect example of why I love "The Late Show" and why I loved being there; the show brought "who is that?" artists to a wide-ish audience. I bought the CD over Christmas break (which is a term I don't think I can use anymore since I've graduated) and it's highly enjoyable. I noticed that the album has a dirty South feel, and not the kind that Ludacris goes for. I notice lyrics but rarely pick up on true meanings unless they're obvious ("Lola" is totally a dude, even I got that). I like the Cold War Kids' CD. Good songs.

And really, if this is Christian music, it's better than this.

So that's as far as I go. The Pitchfork review was really hateful, but can one expect anything else from them? I cite this Apples in Stereo review often. How about reviewing the music?

LAST 3 SONGS PLAYED ON iPOD
"Hospital Beds" by Cold War Kids ****
"Everybody's Happy Nowadays" by The Buzzcocks ****
"Tell Me In The Morning" by Cold War Kids ****

No comments: