1/3/08

Better Than 07 08

Back home, we greet every new year by christening it with a slogan. There was "Big Whore Oh Four" (retroactively added), "F*** It Oh Five" (the first and greatest), "Oh S*** Oh Six," and "My Heavens 0h Seven" or "Whatev Oh Sev" (I'm not sure of this one since I, sadly, spent most of Oh Sev in New York). Apparently this year is "Fornicate Oh Eight" which seems to be a respectable entry in the long line, although I brought up the idea of "Better Than Oh Seven Oh Eight" after April and I discussed that the slogan need not rhyme. I miss this tradition!

I rang in 2008 at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater, which was both where I wanted to be and the cheapest place to be (money spent on New Year's Eve: $0). It was nice to be with friends old and new, all of whom were dressed better than they normally are (because that's what friendship is all about, having to enjoy looking at them). Here are pictures in case you haven't seen them all over everywhere place on MySpace and Facebook. Photos by me, Jennifer and Ari Scott.

Laurel & Jennifer in front of the backwall of the stage/dance floor. It was amazingly tagged with graffiti by Reuben Williams member Eugene Cordero.

Dave's looking at 2008 like it's a pathetic little dog.

This is our Easter card.



Yes, they had a karaoke lounge set up in the Chill Out Room. And yes, they did have my karaoke favorite, "All Day and All of the Night" by the Kinks. And no, I did not do it.

The back hallway was the place to be if you were tired of dancing to Kanye West and Sean Paul.

The first song I heard in 2008 was when the DJ played "Stronger" by Kanye West, which kinda irritated me. Yeah, it meant a lot to a lot of people in 2007 but to everyone else, they just don't get it and are sick of it. And by everyone else, I mean me. This is usually my biggest problem with UCB dance parties; I like rap music but I get so sick of dancing to only rap music. The same is true for a lot of Murfreesboro dance parties; I like Gang of Four but I get so sick of only dancing to post punk music. April and Nicole get shout outs for doing exactly what I would do and exactly what I love for DJs to do. I like a mix. I want to hear "Lip Gloss" followed by an Of Montreal disco jam, followed by "No Diggity" and then a one-two punch of The Hives and a 60s girl group hit. I think if I was having house parties with as much regularity as the ones in Murfreesboro where I could contribute to the song choices, I'd be more fulfilled at UCB parties. But this is saying nothing to knock the party, really, since I'm a very enthusiastic participant in dancing. I had a total stranger tap me on the shoulder and ask my name before telling me that he loved my style when I was dancing to T.I.'s "What You Know." And he was black so you know he knew what he was talking about!!!!!111

So here's 2008. My own personal goal (you know, for my own mental health) is to actively try to fix my problems so I can stop calling my internship at Late Show "the best four months of my life." I need something better and now that there is a whole year between me and 12-21-06, I have to move onward and definitely upward. My actual New Year's resolution should help me accomplish this. And now, readers, I introduce you to...

The 260 Page Initiative

Following in the footsteps of my almost completed 100 Film Initiative of 2007, I now am going to write 5 pages a week for 52 weeks. My biggest obstacle that I can think of, professionally, is that I'm a self-proclaimed writer who doesn't actually write unless he's in a sketch class. I will fix this this year. I'm planning on actually writing out the sketches I've been jotting down in my lil notepad, writing a 30 Rock spec script, finishing my two year old screenplay, and probably doing a lot of work on the X-Kids comic book and my X-Men screenplay. Writing something is better than watching Real World. I imagine this is going to be a hard one to do, as it is already Thursday and I have written nothing for my 12:00 AM Monday deadline.

Getting in the way of the 260 Page Initiative is this ol' blog. I plan on updating it a lot more in 2008 and I have about a gajillion blogs waiting to be written. Should get on those...

So, with all that said, I hope 2008 is better than 2007.

1 comment:

Jennifer Jackson Whitley said...

Oh, I don't think 2007 was so bad.

Plus, I think this is great...your drawings and such.