3/9/07

Comics: The Mighty Avengers #1

THE MIGHTY AVENGERS #1
"The Mighty Avengers"

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciler: Frank Cho
Colors: Jason Keith
Letterer: Artmonkey's Dave Lanphear
Assistant Editor: Aubrey Sitterson
Editor: Tom Brevoot
Editor In Chief: Joe Quesada
Publisher: Dan Buckley


This is one of the most highly entertaining comics I've read in a while. I did not expect this. Bendis, lately, has underwhelmed me with his self-important and unfocused stretch of solo stories in New Avengers and his run on Ultimate Spider-Man which fails to surprise me while still managing to be a consistently solid read. I was not expecting to enjoy this issue or want to continue reading it past the first issue.

For a first issue, this one feels like a throwback to happier times. Too often nowadays, first issues are paced for the trade and involve secondary characters doing mysterious things while referencing the title character, who appears on the last page if at all. Used to be, first issues set up the themes, characters, and relationships that would propel the series through its first dozen or so issues. Deadpool #1 is a great example of this and, off the top of my head, the best example. The over-the-top mercenary stuff is introduced, his desire to be a hero is brought up by making fun of an established Marvel hero, and a whole slew of his supporting cast is shown with their fully rounded personalities ready to go.

This issue starts off with the team already formed and taking on the Mole Man's henchmen, which disappointed me initially only because I've grown tired of Marvel's "hit-the-ground-running/explain-it-later-in-a-press-conference" technique to big events. I was sad that we weren't going to see this team get formed. But Bendis, in true old school style, flashes back to show Iron Man and Ms. Marvel going through their databanks to find the perfect team. Every member is discussed and justified alongside a splash page of them in action; a great way to introduce the team. The real gem here is Ms. Marvel, one of my favorites and Marvel's almost-icon for 20 years now. She's finally getting the respect she deserves and leading this team (well, might I add) is a leap in the right direction. There's already a set-up for a power struggle within the team, and I'm extremely thrilled by this.

First issues should also include a fight of some sort to show how effective the heroes are. This one does so thirty three times over. The team fights well, interacts well, and looks gorgeous thanks to Frank Cho (although I'm still perplexed by Wonder Man's leisure suit). The severity of the situation escalates nicely and, for once, this seems like a truly important battle. Nice to see a little, self-contained, epic battle; I'm sick of line-wide event crossovers that concern everyone. Sometimes it's up to a group of seven to save the entire world.

Reading this made me realize why I love comics: complex characters fighting huge monsters. There's just something iconic about seeing a team of heroes dwarfed by giant green and brown creatures from the bowels of Earth, rushing in to save the day. This feels right. So right that it's my wallpaper.

And then there's that ending which I have no idea where it comes from or what it means for the series, but goshdarnit if it doesn't have me hooked for issue #2.

MY SCORE: 9.6 (out of 10)

No comments: