1/30/07

Stars For Dinner: Robert Schneider


I thought of this while sitting on the train and then it came up again in a question on an AMAZING myspace survey I took this morning. Seriously, check that out.

If I could have dinner with a celebrity, who would I choose? Obviously I'd choose more than one, but the first in this series is Apples in Stereo genius/frontman (in correct order) Robert Schneider. During some soul searching, I realized that Robert is my favorite songwriter of all time. "Stream Running Over," "The Rainbow," "Glowworm," "Please," "Go," "Shine A Light," and sweet mother of mercy, "Look Away." He's a pop mastermind that goes unchallenged and has no peers. Sorry Mr. Kevin Barnes, your stuff is just too darn weird. Robert speaks right to my very chocolate-peanut-butter-filled core (I've ate a lot of Reese's lately).

I finally saw the Apples in concert last November and I nearly broke down emotionally. You can read the blog for all the gushy details, but that was one of the best experiences of my life. Robert's recording process for the new album, New Magnetic Wonder, has been documented on youtube and today's video makes me convinced that I want to hang with him. He's so goshdarn happy! I just want to listen to him talk about music and, somewhere, I bet my geekiness and his overlap. Love of Marvel heroes? Star Wars? Retro-sitcoms? The Kinks? Come on, Robert. I know you're down for some dinner. You live in Brooklyn (?), how about some thai food?

Here's part four of the mini-documentary. It shows Robert at his most giddy and control-freaky, an aspect that I relate to.

No comments: