1/28/07

Showtime


Today was a good day. I've started to digest two highly enjoyable albums ("Black Sea" by XTC and "Visitations" by Clinic) and watched two enjoyable movies (The Big Lebowski and Dr. Strangelove). I would write detailed reviews of the movies, but they wouldn't amount to more than "they was funnys" and "I don't like ba-bombs, but I do like seeing nihilists get pained!!1" Seriously, I can't review movies. So the 100 Film Initiative soldiers on, Adaptation and Harold and Maude are next.

The evening was spent with a friend I haven't seen in a while, good time catching up. We ate at BRGR, which I pronounce exactly like it's spelled for the sheer fun of it, and did not get sick. In fact, it was delicious. I ate a hamburger that was not made by a pedophile clown! And yes, that was a McDonald's reference!

Post-BRGR (who needs consonants?!), I took my lovely guest to see Reuben Williams at UCB. This was my fifth night in a row spent at UCB. My friends back home used to be shocked when I'd call them from the line at Death By Roo Roo almost every Friday last Fall, wondering how I could go all the time. That was when it was weekly. Now it's nightly. Of course this isn't like going to see a band or a movie every night, which I think people who aren't familiar with improv may liken it to. I understand that. I can't think of anything else like improv, where everytime you go it is 100% different. It's like going over to a friend's house (their basement) and watching a never before seen episode of your favorite sitcom/humorous television show. Tuesday was Harold night, Wednesday was sketch night, Thursday was Magnet and Cage Match, I saw the Stepfathers for the first time last night, and tonight was Reuben Williams again.

For my own future reference, I've now seen ReWi (the abbreviation that's sweeping the nation) five times in fifteen days.

And now I'm back at home, listening to the smoothly abrasive sounds of Showtime at the Apollo. This is a much better follow-up to SNL than the old SNL's they show back home. Sing it, kid! You can touch the sky!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh,I love UCB. I took my brother and sister-in-law there on one of the free nights (this was back in the day before they moved to their current home) and got to see Horatio Sanz (I'm indifferent to him; he spent his entire time trying not to laugh at the much-funnier-than-he people), Amy Poehler, and the janitor from Scrubs (I'm awful, I've forgotten his name, don't hate me). Hardly a better way to spend an evening than with a little improv free-for-all.